Weekly Devotional

weeklydevotional Ad2web

Each person should desire to grow closer to God, understand His will for their lives and do this by a deeper study in God's Word. Study tools provide a way to supplement personal Bible study.  Each week, the devotional posted will focus on a section of Scripture. We encourage you to make daily Bible reading and study a part of your daily routine.

• Visit the website weekly to read the latest Weekly Devotional and Daily Scripture
  • Members can subscribe to Email Alerts
  • The Weekly Devotional is also available by email. Subscribe on this page to be added to the email list.
  • Our Daily Scripture is posted on the website and emailed Monday-Friday to enhance the Weekly Devotional study. Click here to view online or sign-up on this page to receive both options by email. 

"...but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" 2 Peter 3:1

Made Alive

Posted in Weekly Devotional

Made Alive

Ephesians 2:4-7

If you notice in the King James the words “hath He quickened” in the first verse are italicized, which means they are not in the original .. they have been supplied by the translator. The sense is right because the statement is given in verse 5. The point is “those who walk according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience. Among whom also we once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as others”. Vs 2,3 They are being estranged from God because of their willful rejection of His Word, and His way. 

But the beauty of the passage is that in spite of the fact that we have rebelled against God, God still loves us. His mercy was given on the basis of His love not on basis of our goodness. “ Even when we were still dead, separated from God by sin, He made us alive. But how are we made alive? “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:5) And again, “or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” (Romans 6:3,4).  “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Cor. 5:17). “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” (Galatians 3:27).

We were dead in trespasses or sin ... both words imply my own personal responsibility in the departure from God. But in spite of our responsibility.... it is my fault if I sin... I must face the consequences. There is nothing that might impress God sufficiently to save me... His grace made it possible. He has, because of His grace, made us to sit in heavenly places, which would refer to the church.... surely He is not speaking of heaven in the present tense. But we are in the heavenly real... that which was dreamed of and created by God. And it is only in Christ that I can be apart of His body.

Why does God visit that kind of grace upon us? Why permit us to sit in heavenly places in Christ? Why must He demonstrate the riches of His grace? Because of His great love for us. It is His kindness that permits us to be saved in spite of our unworthiness. And the future home in heaven will demonstrate God’s ultimate kindness.