Weekly Devotional

weeklydevotional Ad2web

Each person should desire to grow closer to God, understand His will for their lives and do this by a deeper study in God's Word. Study tools provide a way to supplement personal Bible study.  Each week, the devotional posted will focus on a section of Scripture. We encourage you to make daily Bible reading and study a part of your daily routine.

• Visit the website weekly to read the latest Weekly Devotional and Daily Scripture
  • Members can subscribe to Email Alerts
  • The Weekly Devotional is also available by email. Subscribe on this page to be added to the email list.
  • Our Daily Scripture is posted on the website and emailed Monday-Friday to enhance the Weekly Devotional study. Click here to view online or sign-up on this page to receive both options by email. 

"...but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" 2 Peter 3:1

Paul’s Prayer for the Ephesians

Posted in Weekly Devotional

Ephesians 1:16,17

Paul concludes a powerful section of the letter to the Ephesians with Verse 14. The greatness of God’s goodness to us is shown in these verses. Verse 13 and 14 shows that they share with Paul in the treasure that belongs to Christ. They have heard the word of Truth they trusted or believed in the word of Truth, they have been sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise, and because of that Paul says that he ceases not to give thanks to God for them. Because of their faith and love toward God and their love unto all the saints.... there can be no faith and love toward God unless it is demonstrated through our love toward all men. These are two fundamental aspects of all religion.

Now notice his prayer.

He prays that they receive the Spirit of wisdom (the Greek word is Sophia; the deep things of God), and that they may be led deeper and deeper into a knowledge of eternal truths. But there are some basics necessary before the Ephesians, or ourselves even, can be led deeper and deeper into that knowledge of eternal truths. First We must have an independent thinking people. Some attempt to avoid that individual thinking aspect of religion. Goldsmith said, “As I take my shoes from the shoemaker, my coat from the tailor, so I take my religion from the priest.” And there are many people like that. But the religion of the Bible shows that you and I must be thinking people. ...thinking our way to God.

Secondly we must have a powerful pulpit. Unless the pulpit exposes the writings of God to the people it has failed. We must not be so interested in what the preacher says as we are in what God says. Preachers must get out of the way. Paul was determined to know nothing save Christ and Him crucified (1 Corinthians 2:2). It wasn’t about Paul, it was about Christ.

Thirdly we must love to meditate upon the Word. David said in Psalms 119:70 “I delight in Your law.” And he added in another place that he “mediated in it day and night.” Paul urged that we should “ (Colossians 3:16). How often we are so involved in other things that we simply don’t have time to talk about God’s word.... much less study and think about it!.
2 Timothy 2:15
2 Peter 1:10
1 John 3:19